Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Ball Jointed Humpty Dumpty Class Niada 2009

"What happened to Humpty after the fall?.....His brains were scrambled and he couldn't recall"!!

I'm doing a class at NIADA in 2009 in Arrowmount Tennessee, and thought since there is such a big interest at the moment in ball jointed dolls, that I would do a class on basic ball jointing.
Since the class is only 2 days, and to do a full doll is really intensive, I thought a little ghostly Humpty would be the perfect victim to practice on!
I sculpted this piece using La Doll, and air dry clay (or natural stone clay, as it states on the package) It comes from Japan, but is available here in the states. It is what alot of the japanese artists that make bjd's (ball jointed dolls) use.
I picked La doll over using the polymer clays as I am finding that there are just to many strength issues..or lack of it..., with the amount of tension that the stringing puts on the polymer clay. Its not to bad if your just stringing arms and legs, but I find that to string the head along with the rest, results in too much tension, and therfore cracks in the clay where I had no Idea there was any weakness.
Doll Artist Sharon Dube, kindly suggested reinforcing the inside of the polymer with apoxie sculpt, which I think is a great idea, but haven't had a chance to try it yet.
(These are the problems I have experienced, and may not reflect the results other artists have incountered.) If any one else has any ideas I would love to hear from you!

Anyway, I think this is why the Japanese use the La Doll or Porcelian, or reproduce in resin. But, just doing a ooak (one of a kind) doll, I'm finding I have much better luck with the La Doll. The Japanese also use what they call "wood powder" which is like dry fine sawdust but has a glue in it, that activates when mixed with water.It's then mixed into the La Doll to strengthen it. I don't know why they don't import the wood powder along with the clay, but I've never been able to find it in the US and have had some of my kind Japanese artist friends send it to me. Okay..I'm rambling.... back to the class!
By learning the ball jointing system in humptys legs it will give you enough information to be able to do arms also, as they are done the same way.


Here is Humpty in progress, with the ever helpful Miss Pennythistle!

Dark Blessings, Gail

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh wow, this is great, wish I could take your class, sigh, to far away...boo hoo.

Gail Lackey said...

Ohh, not to worry lil' itsy bitsy funzy onesie, so cutsey wutzey! I'm planning on doing some on-line classes with Lisa Gatz at That Creative Place"... if... I can ever shake that ectoplasm out of my brain long enough to plan something!
Dark blessings,
Gail

As Seen Thru My Eyes said...

This is wonderful, Gail! Brilliant idea to do Humpty dumpty instead of having the pressure to create arms too. And he's so cute!
I might have to take this class!

Odddollz by Jacqui said...

OMG Gail he is adorable!! Kamila and I are planning on taking your class and am so excited!! What a perfect idea, should be easy to finish in two day:)
We are going to have soooooo much fun:)

Jacqui

Gail Lackey said...

Gosh Jacqui...with both YOU... AND Kamila..do you really think we'll get anything done?? LOL!! Maybe a ton-o-fun..WHOOPPiE!!
Gail

Stefania Morgante said...

brrrr...without arms! incredible, I love it! if you will make a class on heads...I will be your student!;O) ciao ciao

The Whimsical Goblin said...

I will have to take you class online. Been wanting to learn how to make a BJD.

Anonymous said...

Hey there Gail...he's quite the cool little guy!

How does one go about registering for your class? Since the location is pretty much down the road from me, I'll have to go of course!

Gail Lackey said...

Thanks everyone..glad you like my little ghostly humpty!
Hey there Machinarex..you can sign up on the niada web site, but I don't think they have anything up there at the moment on the class, since it will be in o9. I had to have what I was doing for the class done now for the adds that will be in the mags. But keep watching as I'll post info on my blog.Dark Blessings, Gail

oldefrostfarm1780 said...

Ahhh...I Love Miss Pennythistle and Mr.H.Dumpty is Wonderful!!

Thanks for Sharing Your Fine Work!!

~adele~

Whisperings 13 said...

Bloody Brilliant! You continue to amaze me - How fun! Count me in on the class - tee hee - better yet- come to PA! You can stay under the tall trees with the gnomes and the fairies!

Laetitia said...

amazing work!! I have never seen such a humpty before , without arms !I love his few pink hair!!

Pam @ Frippery said...

Love your creations. How does one begin to learn the art of dollmaking. I paint, draw etc. and my daughter is a senior in H.S. who will be majoring in fine arts next year at U.C. but we have both wanted to learn more about doll making. I would love to take your class but would a beginner be lost? Thanks, Pam

Gail Lackey said...

Hey Pam, If your good at putting together puzzels and have a love of self flagalation.. the ball jointed class is for you! LOl!
You might just want to by some polymer clay and have a day of fun creating..no seriously..if your just starting doll making, a basic sculpting class may be more what your looking for. This is not a sculpting class, but a class geared more towards using the ball jointing process to create a jointed doll and some knowledge of sculpting is really helpful.
haunted hugs, Gail!

Gail Lackey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.